It’s been cold and dark outside. Looking to make an easy meal, and in the mood for stew, I found this yummy recipe online. The ingredient list might look a little daunting, and there is stove top cooking that precedes the slow cooker, but trust me, it’s worth the extra effort. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
(From allrecipes.com poster BUCHKO, with additional ingredient suggestions by Corinne)
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (I used regular salt)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 packet McCormick Slow Cookers Hearty Beef Stew
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup red wine
3 potatoes, chopped
4 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, shopped (I omitted this)
1. In a plastic bag mix together the flour, salt and pepper; add meat to bag and shake to coat.
2. In a pan sauté coated beef in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil until browned.
3. Add chopped onion to pan and sauté to soften. Transfer to slow cooker.
4. Mix beef broth with Worchestershire and red wine. Pour into hot skillet to deglaze, then pour into cooker.
5. Add remaining ingredients. Give them a stir.
6. Cover and cook on low setting for 10-12 hours or on high setting for 4-6 hours.