This is one of my favorite meals, a staple in my rotation for sure!
This recipe comes from Cooking Light Way To Cook Vegetarian, but I have substituted the frozen vegetables and bottled garlic and ginger for fresh ingredients.
Tofu Fried Rice
(Adapted from Cooking Light Way To Cook Vegetarian)
Serves 4 (probably closer to 5 or 6)
2 cups uncooked instant rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 (14-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, drained and cut into (1/2-inch) cubes (I press my tofu first because I prefer a firmer texture)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (1/2-inch thick slices) green onions
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
3/4 cup carrots, chopped into bite-size pieces
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 tablespoons sake (rice wine) or 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat (I use a rice cooker).
2. While rice cooks, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove tofu from pan.
3. Add eggs to pan; cook one minute or until scrambled, breaking egg into small pieces. Remove from the pan.
4. Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to the pan. Add onions, peas, carrots, garlic and ginger. Sauté two minutes.
5. While vegetable mixture cooks, combine sake, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and sesame oil. Add rice to pan; cook two minutes, stirring constantly. Add tofu, egg and soy sauce mixture and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
6. Garnish with green onions, if desired. Enjoy!